Education & Outreach
Water is important, fascinating, and fun. We are universally affected by water.
WaterOne's outreach engages our community through school programming, community events, staff volunteer days, river clean-ups, and speaking engagements. WaterOne is committed to increasing awareness about the value and quality of tap water and critical customer interests through informational campaigns for NotifyJoCo, I Love Tap, and Smart Watering.
Here are some places you can find us out in our community.
See WaterOne's Facebook Calendar to see all of our community events.
Connecting with the community we serve is important to all of us at WaterOne. Come see us at our community events throughout the year, including:
- Tower 2 Tower 5K (1st Saturday in May): Join us for the newest 5k, a circuit from WaterOne's water tower on Renner Boulevard to Olathe's tower at 119th and Renner and back. Runners' registration fees support Water For People in honor of National Drinking Water week. More information coming soon.
- Touch-A-Truck (August): Sit behind the driver's seat of a big work truck, just like the crews at WaterOne! This annual family event at the Overland Park Convention Center showcases big work vehicles from many local companies. WaterOne has a great time showing off our unique work trucks to excited families every year.
- Quench Bars (Various Dates): Tap water is delicious, replenishable, and an amazing value. WaterOne promotes using tap water over single-use bottled water by hosting "Quench Bars" where chilled water is served plain or infused with mint, cucumber and berries. Our quench bars have been a big hit at community events such as at the Johnson County Home and Garden Show, Lenexa Business Blast, and Prairie Village Environmental Fair. Contact us to request a quench bar or to check out materials to use at your event.
- Quench Buggy: Do you have a large event in need of delicious, high-quality tap water? Follow the link for more information on our requirements, FAQs and how to request our Quench Buggy at your event.
WaterOne worked with Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission school districts in our service area to develop a comprehensive, hands-on program about tap water for 6th grade classes. Students learn where their water comes from, how tap water is treated and delivered, and why it is so important for people to have access to clean, high quality public water. Student also conduct hands-on water tests on bottled water and compare it to WaterOne tap.
Teachers - want to sign-up your class for our free presentation? Email Kelly Fry.
WaterOne Cares: Habitat For Humanity of Kansas City, Ronald McDonald House, and Harvesters
Through the WaterOne Cares program, employees are encouraged to volunteer at these three organizations to help those in our community. Habitat for Humanity of Kansas City brings people together throughout the metro area to build homes and communities through an approach that encourages dignity and hope. WaterOne's partnership with Habitat for Humanity includes financial donations funded entirely with non-ratepayer dollars and an optional annual service day given to all employees who choose to work on a WaterOne Habitat project. Projects are ongoing throughout the year, and we're excited to make a difference in our service area while promoting team building and community engagement to our employees.
Know someone in need? Refer them to Habitat for Humanity of Kansas City.
Other Sponsorships and Causes
- Breast Cancer Awareness (October): Internal fundraising supported by WaterOne employees.
- Veteran's Day (November): Internal fundraising supported by WaterOne employees and employee Homefront Heroes are recognized.
- Toys for Tots (December): Annual donations supported by WaterOne employees.
- Harvesters: Employees collect canned food during food drives throughout the year.
- Ronald McDonald Charities: WaterOne employee's volunteer and raise funds for this important charity.
- Water for People - Tower 2 Tower 5K: Proceeds of the Tower 2 Tower 5K benefit Water For People.
- Friends of the Kaw: WaterOne has an ongoing relationship with this river stewardship group. WaterOne volunteers assist with river cleanups and provide other support.
- Missouri River Relief: WaterOne has an ongoing relationship with this river stewardship group and provides donations to their annual silent auction.
Due to security requirements we are unable to offer facility tours at this time. If you'd like more information on presentations and resources available, Email Kelly Fry or call 913-895-5543.